Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
lokeycmos (42)

Next birthdays
05/24 Simon Barsinister (62)
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Reverse-engineering a voltage multiplier from x-ray source

Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Fri Feb 01 2013, 09:30PM Print
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Any HFHV enthusiasts got time to read the misleadingly named thread "Bridge Rectifier Circuit" in HV forum, and pitch in for andre's and my benefit? Clearly my pictures and andre's schematic have a wire missing from the left end of the voltage multiplier stack.
thanks
Rich
Ash Small
Fri Feb 01 2013, 11:03PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Why do you say there is clearly a wire missing? It looks to me like it should work 'as is'.

EDIT: Brown wires are one terminal (one wire has series resistance, this is the one to connect to, I imagine, as it limits the current). Red and White are the other terminal. Use the Red and the Brown connected via the resistors as your terminals.

I assume this works in flyback mode.

C7 is just a shunt, it doesn't form part of the multiplier, I think.

It is a resonant circuit. I think it works like a self-resonant transformer, one with an external capacitor. The frequency you run this at is 'critical', but it is pretty straightforward to measure the resonant frequency, but I think you'd need to get the soldering iron out.

The 'correct' frequency 'could' be a 'third harmonic', or something, or it may just be resonance.

EDIT: I don't know that I'm completely correct, so I posted here, rather than in the main thread)
Wolfram
Sat Feb 02 2013, 12:27PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Brown wires are one terminal (one wire has series resistance, this is the one to connect to, I imagine, as it limits the current). Red and White are the other terminal. Use the Red and the Brown connected via the resistors as your terminals.

This would not work at all, all the wires on the right side only share a single node with the high voltage multiplier.

The load connects between the left side of C1 and the upper brown wire in the diagram. In the original circuit, the x-ray tube cathode would have connected to the lower brown wire and the voltage drop over the resistors would serve as the bias voltage for the filament cup, which would be connected to the upper brown wire. The role of C7 is to smooth this voltage.

Klugesmith's analysis is correct, the circuit is simply three separate secondaries, each with its own voltage doubler Link2 on the output. The outputs of these doublers are connected in series. They do it this way to increase the resonant frequency of the transformer and to lower the demands on the insulation (DC is much easier on the insulation than HF AC). It's basically the same principle as a diode-split flyback, but with doubling and smoothing for each secondary.

The transformer is probably supposed to be driven by a resonant topology on account of the likely high reflected secondary capacitance. Definitely not flyback.
Andre
Sun Feb 03 2013, 08:29PM
Andre Registered Member #6921 Joined: Wed Sept 26 2012, 07:47PM
Thank you for the video it explains a lot, so the description on ebay is wrong, is just 3 12.5KV coils and they are using diodes and caps to double the voltage.
so according to the video this is how it should be connected.
and the feedback is negative

1359923352 6921 FT150130 1359698469 2099 Ft149999 Dscn0253
klugesmith
Mon Feb 04 2013, 08:52AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Right, Andre (your picture of + and -, and the comment about coils being only 12.5 kV).

I should not have split this thread into two, especially in two different forums. Had been afraid that the title "Bridge rectifier" would be skipped by expert readers. Sorry.

It's ironic that this kind of voltage doubler has a schematic identical to that of a bridge rectifier, except for 2 capacitors in place of 2 diodes. I had never noticed that, before watching that fine old tutorial in Wolfram's link. Good find!

The film is very clear, and is properly paced for the lecture hall. Two caveats for the newbies:

1: We are talking about a -symmetric- voltage doubler circuit. Internet searches are more likely to turn up a different voltage doubler configuration, of which MWO power supplies are a ubiquitous example. In that circuit, one end of secondary is common with one end of the load, and the other end connects only to a capacitor.

2: (Rich steps onto soapbox). In the film, the instructor's pointer and the animation show the direction of current as the direction of electron flow. That seemed natural and "correct" for me too, up to about the age of 12. But the opposite convention is practically universal in two centuries of literature and discourse about electric current. And it is not "wrong".

IMHO, reading and talking about electric current will be much easier if you practice thinking of it as motion of positive charge. That model works fine for understanding electromagnetic fields and waves, circuits, and external behavior of all components. The international units of measurement (V,A,ohm,F,H,etc.) were standardized before the discovery of electrons. Electric lighting and telephone systems and 3-phase AC power networks and utility tariffs (regulated and taxed) were working productively, before anyone knew the sign of charge carriers in metallic conductors.

You will need to "flip" and think in terms of moving electrons when dealing with the internal workings of electron tubes and some semiconductor devices.

Ash Small
Mon Feb 04 2013, 11:39AM
klugesmith wrote ...

IMHO, reading and talking about electric current will be much easier if you practice thinking of it as motion of positive charge. That model works fine for understanding electromagnetic fields and waves, circuits, and external behavior of all components. The international units of measurement (V,A,ohm,F,H,etc.) were standardized before the discovery of electrons. Electric lighting and telephone systems and 3-phase AC power networks and utility tariffs (regulated and taxed) were working productively, before anyone knew the sign of charge carriers in metallic conductors.

You will need to "flip" and think in terms of moving electrons when dealing with the internal workings of electron tubes and some semiconductor devices.

I apoligise for posting slightly OT, Rich, but I assume this thread has pretty much run it's course now.

While we're on the subject of charge carriers, are the 'holes' talked about so much in reference to semi-conductors just areas of low electron density, which 'appear' to move in the opposite direction to electrons, or are they actually 'holes that move'? I've never been able to properly understand this.
Steve Conner
Mon Feb 04 2013, 01:38PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Each hole is one "absence of electron" from the crystal lattice. Think of it as the missing piece in one of those puzzles with the 15 square pieces you can slide around. If all 16 were present, none of them could move.
Link2

When you play this puzzle game, are you moving the tiles, or the hole? Does the question even make sense?
Ash Small
Mon Feb 04 2013, 04:20PM
Well, that clears that up. I just don't understand why all the texts I read talked about 'movement of holes'.

I'll have another look at transistor theory sometime.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: